—The venture capital firm finds investor and startup confidence has grown considerably year-over-year as the PropTech market continues to accelerate and mature—
NEW YORK–(BUSINESS WIRE)–MetaProp, the leading PropTech venture capital firm, today announced the highly-anticipated release of its Mid-Year 2021 Global PropTech Confidence Index sponsored by PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC). The startup Index reached 8.3 out of 10, its highest-level, doubling the sentiment noted at Mid-Year 2020 and the investor Index hitting 8.9 out of 10, the second highest-level to-date.
Published bi-annually, The Index provides unique and in-depth insights into the health of the real estate technology industry, offering perspectives from notable PropTech investors and startup founders worldwide. In its 11th edition, this Confidence Index digests the first half of 2021, finding that as the world continues to grapple with both the short- and long-term effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, investor and startup confidence remains strong.
The Global PropTech Confidence Index reflects investors growing confidence in PropTech amid the global shift in how people decide to work, live, and interact, enabled by different types of technology, including PropTech.
“The flywheel of innovation activity within the PropTech industry now appears to be firmly established,” said Aaron Block, Co-Founder and Managing Partner of MetaProp. “It is remarkable to witness how quickly this space adapts to the dynamic needs of all those who interact with the real estate market in some capacity, from the first-time buyer of a single-family home to an asset manager with thousands of units in their portfolio.”
Among the further takeaways from the Mid-Year 2021 Global PropTech Confidence Index:
- 74-percent of startup founders expect their vertical to be more competitive in the upcoming 12 months, up from a historic low of 48-percent in Mid-Year 2020.
- 91-percent of founders believe that it will be easier to raise capital during the next 12 months, the most confidence we’ve seen since the Index began in 2016.
- 48-percent of startups expect at least two-thirds of their teams to continue working from home over the next 12 months, down slightly from 50-percent a year ago.
- 54-percent of investors expect to make more PropTech investment over the next few months, up from 33-percent a year ago.
- 70-percent of today’s investors expect to see more pitches from PropTech startups over the next year compared to the previous year, up from 65-percent at year-end 2020.
- 100-percent of investors surveyed for The Index expect to see the same or more acquisitions over the course of the next 12 months compared to the previous 12 months.
41-percent of investors shared that PropTech companies in their portfolio are currently performing above expectation in terms of customer growth—an all-time high—up from 13-percent a year ago.
“Barring another unforeseen shock in the real estate market, we anticipate seeing funding totals and later-stage financing activity drive further industry consolidation,” Block added. “We also expect exit activity to remain at elevated levels for the foreseeable future as the current cycle continues to play out.”
The full report can be downloaded here: https://www.metaprop.vc/research
MetaProp is a New York-based venture capital firm focused on the real estate technology (“PropTech”) industry. Founded in 2015, MetaProp’s investment team has invested in 135+ technology companies across the real estate value chain. The firm manages multiple funds for both financial and strategic real estate investors that represent a pilot- and test-ready sandbox of 20+ billion square feet across every real estate asset type and global market. The firm’s investment activities are complemented by pioneering community leadership including the PropTech Place innovation hub, MetaProp Accelerator at Columbia University programs, global events NYC Real Estate Tech Week and Propel by MIPIM NYC, and publications Global PropTech Confidence Index and PropTech 101.
At PwC, our purpose is to build trust in society and solve important problems. PwC is a network of firms in 155 countries with over 284,000 people who are committed to delivering quality in assurance, advisory and tax services. Find out more and tell us what matters to you by visiting us at www.pwc.com/US.