A PDF or Portable Document Format document is a convenient and secure way of storing or sending a document so that it appears in the exact same way on any screen.
Unlike a Word document, the person who receives a PDF does not need any specific programs to view it, they can simply open the file on their computer or smartphone.
To convert Word to PDF on Windows, there are several different methods you can follow. Some require that you download a program or app and pay a subscription fee, so in this article we will skip those methods and explain how to do it for free.
By following these easy instructions, you can convert your Word to PDF on Windows in just a few steps.
Although we explain the exact process with screenshots of how it will appear on a computer with Windows, you can follow the same steps on any computer, tablet, or smartphone, including a Mac computer, iPhone, or Android phone.
Converting Word to PDF on Windows for Free
The process is done completely online, so you do not need to download any programs, apps, or software. You do not need to have Microsoft Word installed.
You only need 2 things: an internet connection and the file you want to convert.
Here are the steps to convert Word to PDF online for free:
- Go to https://www.formatpdf.com/en/
- Click “Word to PDF.”
- Click “Select Word file” to find the document on your computer. Select the file and click “Open.” (Or simply drag your file and drop it in the red box.)
- Wait a few seconds for the document to upload.
- Click “Convert to PDF.”
- The converted file will download onto your device automatically, or you can click “Download File.”
Here is what your screen will look like for each step:
Steps 1 and 2: Go to https://www.formatpdf.com/en/ and click “Word to PDF”
As you can see, there are also many other free tools you can use on the same website. You may want to bookmark the FormatPDF page so that it’s easy to find the next time you are working with these types of documents.
Step 3: Select or drag and drop your file.
When you click the button to select your file, it will open Windows Explorer, which will look something like this:
From there, you can find your file in the Desktop folder or whichever folder where you have it saved, and click “Open.”
Remember that you can also drag and drop your document into the red box if that is easier for you, or follow these instructions on WikiHow.
Step 4: Now the file will automatically get uploaded into the tool.
Step 5: After a few seconds, it will be done uploading and you will see the screen below. Click “Convert to PDF.”
After clicking the button, the screen will change to confirm that the file has been successfully download to your device. You also have the option to click a button to download it again.
That’s all there is to it! As you can see, it’s quite easy to convert Word to PDFs online using this free method, and it works equally well on computers, tablets, and smartphones.
But just in case you want to do the conversion without being connected to the internet, next we’ll explain how you can do it using the Microsoft Word program.
Converting Word to PDF With Microsoft Word
Do use these methods, you will need a paid subscription to Microsoft Word. You also will need to have the Microsoft program installed on your computer, or the app downloaded on your smartphone.
Using Save As
Here are the steps to take:
- Open the .doc or .docx file you want to convert, then go to File, and click “Save As.”
- Next, click on “Save As Type” from the dropdown menu that will appear and select PDF (see image below).
- Now, select the location you want to save the file, then click “Save.”
Convert Word to PDF Using Export Option
MS Word also has an export feature you can use to achieve the same thing.
- Open the .doc or .docx file to convert to PDF and select File, then click “Save and Send.”
- Click “Create PDF/XPS Document.”
- Give your document a title, choose where to save it, and then click “Publish.”
Frequently Asked Questions About Converting Word to PDF
Can a Word Document Be Modified After Converting It?
One of the advantages of sending a document in .pdf instead of .doc/.docx is security and integrity. Unless the person receiving the documents goes out of their way to edit the file on purpose, your file will not be modified without overwriting and saving it as a new document. So, converting Word to PDF is a great way to transfer and present documents safely.
Is There Any Size Difference After Conversion?
Yes. Another benefit of converting Word files to PDFs is the significant reduction in size, making it easier to send and store as it will occupy less space. For instance, a file that was initially 500kb may come in around 375kb after conversion. This makes PDFs an ideal format for making backup copies of documents.
Will There Be a Loss in Text Formatting During Conversion?
No, you should not lose any formatting during conversion. The document’s text, images, and other graphic content should remain intact.
The Portable Document Format offers many benefits, including:
· File security (difficult for others to modify).
· Operating system compatibility (will appear exactly the same no matter what device is used to open it).
· Portability (can be sent as an email attachment, uploaded to a website like LinkedIn, sent over messenger programs like WhatsApp, or saved on a flash drive or other physical hard drive).
These are all good reasons why you may want to convert your document. And after reading this article, you now know 3 easy ways to convert Word to PDF on Windows successfully so you can use these benefits to your advantage.